The University of Maryland Parent & Family Advisory Council strives to foster student success and enhance the campus community by actively engaging the parents and families of undergraduate students in support of the university through events, programs, and fundraising.
The purpose of University of Maryland Parent & Family Advisory Council is to:
- Serve as ambassadors for the University of Maryland among the parents and family members of undergraduate students;
- Represent the parents and family members of undergraduate students to the Office of Parent and Family Affairs, Division of Student Affairs, and the larger University of Maryland community;
- Serve as an ongoing forum for building and maintaining a strong bond with the University;
- Energize parent and family resources on the University’s behalf by making leadership gifts, awarding scholarships and grants, and hosting events;
- Sponsor programs to encourage other families to make gifts in support of the University.
About the Council
The Parent & Family Advisory Council is a group of dedicated parent and family volunteers who serve as ambassadors for the University of Maryland among the parents and family members of undergraduate students and provide feedback to the Office of Parent and Family Affairs on issues of particular interest to parents and families. The Parent & Family Advisory Council meets three times each year to discuss issues; learn more about University developments affecting students; plan programs and events to involve parents and families in the life of the University; and participates in broadening and deepening relationships in support of the University.
The Parent & Family Advisory Council is made up of parents and family members of current undergraduate students. The Council consists of approximately 45 people representing a diverse spectrum of students’ degree programs and academic/class standing. Membership is comprised of a National Chair or Chairs, committee chairs, Members-at-Large, and Emeritus Members. The Parent & Family Advisory Council is appointed by the Director of Parent and Family Affairs, and all members serve a two-year term. The two-year terms are renewable at the invitation of the Office of Parent and Family Affairs and volunteers may serve until their student’s graduation from UMD.
As part of their commitment to the Parent & Family Advisory Council and the University, Council members support programs in the Division of Student Affairs with annual gifts throughout their appointed term. The Council also sponsors programs to encourage other families to make gifts in support of the University.
- Attend the Fall, Winter, and Spring meetings of the Parent & Family Advisory Council. Members must attend a minimum of two out of three meetings.
- Participate in a minimum of two volunteer opportunities throughout the year;
- Participate on at least one Council committee.
- Provide input and ideas at meetings and on a regular basis, and contribute knowledge of your student’s experience to help inform practices.
- Represent the interests of all Terp families and serve as an ambassador, working to engage other parents and families in supporting University efforts.
- Make a gift annually to the Division of Student Affairs in accordance with your ability and preferably at a leadership level ($1,000+) by December of each year.
Interested in joining the Council?
The application process for the Parent & Family Advisory Council is currently closed. We will begin accepting applications for the 2022-2024 term (two-year commitment) in Fall 2022.
Please contact Brian Watkins, Director of Parent and Family Affairs, at email@example.com.